For those who may not know, my third year of my French degree is spent in France. I'm going to be teaching children between the ages of 11 to 15 English which was all arranged by the British Council. The placement is for seven months and begins on 1st October 2012 and finishes on 30th April 2013. I, however, decided to go over early to settle in before I started.
Packing may well have been one of the more stressful moments of my life as I try to cram my life into a Ford KA that also needs to transport three people. I actually had a panicky moment just as we set off for the harbour as I realised that I had left my handbag behind and we had to go back for it!
And so my journey began as I took the ferry from Jersey to St. Malo. After an uneventful crossing we started the 291km journey to my new town of Fauville-en-Caux. We arrived a little later than first anticipated due to a few wrong turns here and there but I eventually arrived at my school where I met my mentor, Eloïse, the principal (as they are called in France), the bursar and I was also introduced to a whole bunch of other teachers but their names just flew right out of my head which I feel a little guilty about. Nevertheless they were all really lovely and welcoming.
I got to see my apartment which was bigger than I ever imagined and I'm happily moved in now - I spent a few days with my parents in a gite before they
Living in a big apartment by myself is a new experience. Admittedly the first few days I was constantly terrified that someone would break in while I was still inside. Waking up in the morning to a dark apartment because of the shutters made me perform a small spy mission as I checked every room and switched the lights on, hoping that there wouldn't be someone lurking. It took a few days but I've come to realise that every sound isn't someone trying to break in and kill me.
I've been driving in France which hasn't been as bad as I had first thought. The roads are definitely quieter here than they are in the UK and with my trusty Tomtom by my side I'm good to go, as long as I remember to drive on the right hand side of the road that is!
Thankfully, getting into Rouen by train or car isn't too difficult and I've already had a couple of ventures in. It's still just as I remember it from school trips a few years ago. How nostalgic! It's full of cobbled streets, gorgeous old fashioned architecture and vendors selling filled baguettes, crêpes and gauffres!
As bad as this cliché is, I have been eating a lot of baguettes and various cheeses. It's a wonder how I haven't had nightmares yet as I eat it at all hours. My favourite new discovery is Philadelphia cream cheese with salmon and dill which is so delicious! Though, I must admit I still am yet to adapt to drinking coffee - I just can't seem to let go of my tea!
I've been spending a lot of my time reading on my N7 with the Kindle app. So far I've read all The Hunger Games books and re-read Cyrano de Bergerac. Starting on The Perks of Being a Wallflower next but if anyone has any recommendations for books please let me know :)
Well, my placement officially starts next week where I actually get to start meeting the little rascals that I'm teaching. So I suppose this brings this entry to an end. I'll report back soon. Until then, wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment